Putting the A.C.T in Action for My Community

Omar Camacho with the Community Service Crew (last person on the right).


Being a Bronx native, I have had the privilege to intern here at Bronx Community Solutions for two years. I have had the chance to do multiple projects in and outside the court house and all over the Bronx. So when I was asked to assist on a new project called Artist’s Coming Together (A.C.T.) mural project, I was more than happy to. Not only does this project bring color and life to an area in the Bronx that is plagued with graffiti and lacks certain municipal services like street cleaning: It would be right in my community-just blocks away from my house!

During the planning stages of the project, I have been able to talk to the graffiti crews and get their personal views on graffiti art, and their passion for doing murals in my community. I also had an opportunity to meet the officers that work behind the scenes for many of the police/community events, the 41st community affairs officers Warrick and Haddock.
This project has brought some of the best graffiti art crews in the city to participate and show how this native Bronx art form has impacted their lives. The artists are: D.Y.M ( Dream, Yearn, Materialize) which hale from Brooklyn , G.F.R (Get Fresh Rhythms) from Queens, and the Bronx's very own legendary "TATS CRU: The Mural Kings” to create beautiful community, Bronx based murals in the area of 165th and Whitlock Avenue. All crews may be from different boroughs and there may be some friendly competition, but they all have one common goal and that’s to represent their crew and even more importantly, represent THE BRONX.

As the unveiling date approaches (Saturday, September 18, 2010), Bronx community solutions, NYPD 41st precinct and the artists are working steadily to ensure that the day is filled with music, food, arts, and culture!

Comments